Thursday 23 January 2014

"Guess that's why I'm leaving, I crave reality..."

~A line from Goodbye Alice In Wonderland by my all time favourite artist, Jewel. 

Like so many before me & I'm sure so many there will be after me, I've asked myself why do I want to leave the security of Singapore for the uncertainty of Australia. I've listed to myself so many reasons.

1. I want work life balance. (I frequently work 12 to 13 hours a day and though I'm paid overtime, I rather have the time to do things that I enjoy with people I enjoy being with, namely, the hubby & my dogs.)

2. I want a more relax pace at work so I can do my job properly. (At work, we rush like crazy. To check patient, to do paperwork, to open sterile consumables on my surgical trolley, to scrubbing, to preparing my trolley. If we're not faster than the surgeon, you know what happens. Wait, you don't? We get screamed or yelled at. What did cha think? When you're rushing to beat the speed of light, it's only a matter of time when you miss something vital & make a serious mistake.)

3. I want to be able to afford a car. (Ok, that's materialistic me talking. Even if cars are a necessity in Australia. )

4. I want a house with a garden so I can grow my own veg/herbs & my dog can run freely at the price of a 5 room flat. (Practical?)

5. Better & less stressful education system for kids. (I don't have any & I'm not sure if I want any. If I do change my mind in the future, this point will become valid. :P)

They told me that Australia will be boring coz shops close at 5 or 6 pm and there's nothing to do. Me & hubby are boring people. What do we do after work? Head straight home, play with the dogs, have dinner, spend some time on the computer & for me, read. We did this day in day out for 4 years already. So I don't think shops closing early will bother us much. They told me cost of living is very high in Australia. From what I'm seeing, eating out is 1 of the most expensive things to do. Well, guess what? I can cook & I enjoy it. We all know cars are definitely cheaper. Yes, I don't mind a 15 year old manual car. We both learnt to drive on a stick. Hubby has got to be the thriftiest man I know anyway.

Am I filled with fear about being unable to find a job? Of course. Am I fearful that I won't be able to fit in? Most definitely. Am I worried that my cash flow won't be able to sustain our lifestyle no matter how frugal we are? Always. These thoughts fill me all the time. Regardless of how many times I tell myself that if other people can, so can I. My aunt, who's a nurse as well, told me that she had wanted to work overseas when she was younger. But she didn't have the courage to step out & now she's too old to do so & it's a regret she has to bring to her grave.

One day, I was just musing, staring at the sky when it struck me, clear as day. Ultimately, it all boils down to 1 reason. That my motivation for trying. I want to enjoy life while I still have 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment