Tuesday 29 July 2014

Heaps Of Excitement

I do attarct unexpected adventures, I think. I started work at 10 am today so I got to sleep in. Hubs had already left for work at almost 6 am. As I got ready to leave the house, I realised that both the gate & the door were not locked. Hubs forgot to lock & I slept with unlocked doors for another hour & a half.

When I got to work, my colleague asked if I would like to try scrubbing for trabeculectomy (for glaucoma) as the surgeon is nice & there were only 2 cases. There were slight differences from those I did in SG but nothing unmanageable. After lunch, my colleague asked if I would like to try scrubbing for the afternoon surgeon. This surgeon used to be the ex-boss of another surgeon (famous for his no nonsense attitude & MD in my previous work place) in SG. This time, there were a total of 9 cases. So naturally, I was nervous. My 1st Phaco in half a year.

I was scrubbed up, preparing my trolley when the fire alarm went off. We were all looking at one another. Then, the PA system came on, telling us to evacuate. I unscrubbed, helped patients get out of the building, out to the gather point. 2 fire engines were already parked out the front of the building. Soon after, we were told that we could return to the building. The smoke detector was triggered by a coffee machine that gave out too much steam.

We helped patients back to the theatre, I scrubbed again & started off the list. The most challenging thing would be getting used to the set up of the trolley. We were down to the last 2 cases when they decided to stop for tea break. I guess this is something I have to get used to. Tea break? In SG, we get yelled at by the surgeon if we so much as go to the toilet.

Now that MasterChef has come to an end, I'll have an extra hour everyday except for Tues (replaced by Save With Jamie). I can spend the time reading in bed. My idea of a kick back after a day's work. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment