Saturday 4 July 2015

Secrets Of The Scout

Scrub & scout goes hand in hand. We're partners in crime. In Sg hospitals where I've worked, 1 must be able to fulfill both roles since we alternate scrub. Meaning, I scrub cases 1, 3, 5, 7 & you scrub 2, 4, 6, 8. When you're scrubbing, I'm the scout & vice versa. We use the term circulating rather than scout in Sg but they mean the same thing. It's a little different here in my current job. There're some staff who doesn't scrub & if assigned as my partner, they'll only scout. Scrub nurse scrubs the entire list in my current job. Scrubbing isn't difficult. But it does get exhausting when you're facing 18 cases with a fast surgeon. The scout is very important. She (I use she becoz I can count on 1 hand how many male scrub nurses I've met) must know where the instruments are kept & she must know the surgery well. In the event of a complication, she needs to run to get stuff, fast. She also needs to know the surgery becoz when she's partnered with a junior, she may need to prompt the junior what step or instrument is next. Here are the confessions & tricks of a scout.

1. Never leave your pen on the table.
The scout needs to fill up paper work for the surgery & the surgery record book. Sometimes, we just leave the pen on the table when suddenly called to do something else. At the end of the surgery, while you're busy applying dressing with the scrub, the surgeon takes your pen to write post op notes & pockets it. Once, I came back to find the surgeon looking at the surgery list while chewing on my pen. Needless to say, I didn't even ask him to return it. So I always keep a pack of cheap ballpoint pens that comes in 10 in my locker.

2. With regards to point number 1.
Some surgeons come with their own supply of pens. Some more fanciful than the others. I've seen beautiful fountain pens though they're not the best thing to write with. We're not supposed to use water based ink becoz they smudge when in contact with moisture. But no, we can't tell them that. Not in Sg. Some surgeons are notorious. They'll keep borrowing your pen & failing to return it. You'll think that they can afford pens when they earn so much. If I tell you how much they earn, you'll be depressed.

3. We do a naughty thing to the patients when they're under GA.
I'm sorry. But we just can't stand the humongous blackheads that looks like they've been there all your life. At the end of the surgery while waiting for you to wake up, we'll all take turns to squeeze the blackheads out for you.

I've been storing this entry since 4th July, hoping I'll come up with more than 3 points. Oh well, I'll add to the list if I do think of anymore.

2 comments: