Tuesday 7 June 2016

Some Day, Again

There were only 2 times where I was so distraught that I couldn't chant daimoku. The 1st time being the end of my previous marriage. In desperation, I contacted an ex-colleague who previously introduced me to Nichiren Buddhism. I didn't follow on. But I've tried every means to save my marriage & that was my last hope. She met up with me immediately & brought me to the Singapore Soka Association (SSA) HQ in Tampines. Once there, she bought me prayer beads & a pouch for the beads. Then, she led me into the hall where people were chanting. I could barely gasp out a single daimoku, my body racked by uncontrollable sobs. My prayers were not answered. But that was the beginning of faith. Of course, now I understand the significance of my failed marriage, it being the catalyst to the beginning of my human revolution. I still have a long way to go but I know I'll keep at it no matter what.

The 2nd being at Dawn's memorial service, 2 Saturdays ago. Even hubs cried as he sat beside me, chanting along. Many times I had to stop & compose myself so that I could offer daimoku to her. Eulogies given by her close friends revealed the Dawn I didn't get to know. How she offered a friend, suffering from severe burnout & depression, to stay with her while he took a break from the hectic life in Sydney. Knowing that he had estranged relationships with his family, she arranged in secret, for his family members to show up at the restaurant where she was celebrating his birthday for him. How, even in her late 60s, she went to Lady Gaga's concert & danced with the youngsters. 1 member who's known her for 16 years thanked her for being such a good friend, to which she replied, "I'm sure we'll meet again."

I'm terrible in my knowledge of the Gosho. But I know there is this passage where Nichiren wrote to his disciples, saying that they'll meet again at the Eagle's Peak, where Shakyamuni is. (Eagle's Peak is a figurative peak of the tallest mountain, where they can overlook the entire world.) In my heart, I imagine Dawn being at Eagle's Peak, discussing Buddhist philosophies with the Buddhas & sages who had departed prior. So long for now, Dawn. Some day, we will meet & we will discuss Buddhist philosophies once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment