Monday 27 February 2017

Touchy Subject

I arrived home at 7.30 pm after yoga to a baked piece of basa fillet waiting for me. So I sat down for dinner while watching MKR. I left to shower & when I came back, hubs was watching a program on racism in Australia. They did a couple of experiments & the 1 that struck me the most was the Muslim lady in hijab attending an anti-Islamic rally.

The speaker was going on about how the Quran is not compatible with Australian beliefs & way of life. The lady was standing there listening, not doing anything really. She was then approached by a couple of Caucasians & it quickly turned not so pretty. Apparently, someone called the police & they gave her a written order for inciting fear of violence, grabbed her arm & forced her to leave the venue. Living in Singapore, I've grown up with so many Malays (Muslims) so I don't have that kind of animosity towards them. In fact, we never really had a problem until terrorist groups claiming to do the work of Allah surfaced.

I'm surprised that at this age, people still fail to see that it isn't the religion. It is man. It is us. I'm not a Christian & I can't say I know Christianity very well. But I have this question. What would Jesus have done in that situation above? Would he hurl racist remarks & demand that the Muslim lady leave? Or would he have protected her & instead administered with love & compassion?

I'm not saying that you can reason with terrorists & convert them with love & compassion. I'm just saying that regular people like you & me deserves the kind of respect that we think we deserve. What makes me better or superior than the other person? Nothing really. We all have to be born, grow old, die & meet our maker someday. Wouldn't it be better then, to promote a world of peace & acceptance?

No comments:

Post a Comment