Tuesday 25 March 2014

Distracted By Novels

Spent the last couple of days re-reading the Twilight series so have been away from the internet. That's how I get when I start reading. I simply can't stop. I even did not play Maplestory if it means anything. I could play for hours on end. Lol. I'm on the 3rd book, Eclipse, now. Will you be surprised if I say I still take out my Fear Street series on & off for a fast read?

I was telling Dolly & Sharon that people who are the only child is often weird. Perhaps weird is the wrong word to use. I think difficulty conversing & maintaining relationships with others is a more accurate description. Eh, perhaps it's just me. Perhaps I'm the only weird only child nearby.

This started off as a personal journal/online diary thingy. Something for me to read back on in the future, just like I did with my old physical diaries. That was what prompted me to write again. To have an insight on my thoughts many years down the road would be valuable.

Alright, then. Perhaps I'll have different thoughts in the future on this issue. I wrote on FB an incident we witnessed where a 7 or 8 year old kid told his mom to shut up (& I don't mean in a jokingly or nice way) when she refused to buy a toy that he wanted. I said if you don't know how to bring up a kid then don't. Coz there're enough brats & the society does not need another one. This prompted a heated exchange with an ex-poly mate. I suspected the reason that she reacted extremely strongly is becoz her son is ill-behaved & she confirmed it in her next reply. I didn't want to reply anymore coz there was simply no point. I'm entitled to my opinions & you yours. I respect yours & I'm not going to force mine down your throat. I'll get to that in a while. But it escalated into a racist attack type of argument then. I used racist attack as a description becoz from the videos I've watched on verbal racist attack, it usually started off with 1 person & others seeing the opportunity come up, joined in.

Real friends, without saying a word or having me to explain what I meant, understood what I was trying to say. Another 2 ex-poly friends immediately texted me, asking if I was alright & if I was hurt by the comments. 1 of them is a mother of 2 mind you. So I said I was alright but I was only worried that she too, took offence with what I said. It touched me when she said she wasn't offended & she understood what I was trying to get at. From our group chat, it was also evident that Dolly & Sharon understood. I felt really fortunate. Real friends are hard to come by & I had 4.

This explanation is for me 10 years years down the road. I wonder if my perceptions would have changed, if at all. Everyone knows how strongly I feel about responsible pet ownership. If you're not convinced that you will provide the necessary healthcare, training, lifelong commitment & love, then don't get a pet. It is absolutely unacceptable to me if you gave excuses such as you had a baby, the dog's aggressive, the dog's grown too big, the dog is too rough etc to abandon the dog. Just like Cesar Millan said, with the right training, a dog will grow to be well adjusted and most importantly, happy.

Now, what is it to me if you raised a brat anyway? You're the 1 having to face the music, not me. Similarly, I feel very strongly about parenthood. It is not something you jump into on a whim or becoz everyone's getting pregnant or your biological time is up. You want a kid, you're responsible for his upbringing, discipline, moral values, respect for others etc. God knows many (way too many) kids in Singapore have none of these. I have no confidence that I can bring up a kid who will turn out differently & that is why I've put it off despite me being 31 this year. You can say never try, never know. But this a life that we're talking about here. Not some soft toy that you can throw away when you're sick of it. Not some super duper expensive University course that you can drop out of  when you find that you can't make it. What did you lose? Just money which you can earn back. Can you redeem your child's life back once he took the wrong step? Why do you want to wait until it's too late to do something? To me, if you're unwilling to be the "bad" parent, then don't have any kids. It was at the mother's lack of action that angered me. Oh, it's wrong to discipline in public. Is it? Discipline works the best when delivered on the spot. & why do people automatically assume discipline means scold or slap? Checking the behaviour & reasoning is disciplining too. Then at necessary times, you just have to be harsh, even if it hurts you.

That was why I had no inclination of replying becoz she got me all wrong. She kept saying no matter how she discipline her son, he is still very ill-behaved & does that make her a bad mother? Does that mean she cannot have kids? My point was, if you don't discipline. If you do, fine. Does the kid having no respect for his mother means the mother does not discipline him in private? If she did from young, she'll have a kid who is well adjusted & respectful of her. Like many others I've seen & met. They're always a pleasure to watch even if I don't interact with them. Did you get me right or did you get me wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment