Sunday 20 September 2015

Blueberry Scented Dog

After his surgery, I made him wear his sweater so it acted as a protective layer against his nails when he scratched himself. As any hair coated dog (coat that grows long rather than sheds), he got matted. But I couldn't brush him out due to his wounds. 

Inevitably, he got so terribly matted that shaving him down is the only way to go. Trying to work out tight knots close to the skin will be extremely painful to him.

As with every groom, regardless of whether he receives a schnauzer cut or shave down, he gets what he dreads. A shower. Several months back, Coles was clearing stock for an organic kids shampoo. They were going for $1 a bottle so I grabbed 2. I finally finished off his previous bottle & I used this new shampoo for the 1st time. Yup, I don't bother with dog shampoo.

I can only imagine that he must feel terribly out of place. Dogs love smelling like their environment. Supposedly goes back to the wolf days when having a scent that sticks out like a sore thumb is like carrying a target on your back. So everytime he comes out from a shower, after blowing him dry of course, the 1st thing he'll do is jump on the sofa & trash about.

He didn't do it today. In fact, he seemed resigned to the fate that he has to carry this blueberry scent around. He smells awfully sweet but I can't help but laugh at him becoz I know how much he dislikes it. He really has it bad this time. Not only is he smelling bad (to him), he also looks like a hairless rat from the shave (can't be helped). Aww... my dear Ton...
Before shaving, also being the 1st on our newly changed sheets.
After shave & shower, looking like a hairless rat & smelling of blueberries.

1 comment: