Saturday 14 May 2016

Fruit Picking @ Pickering Brook

8th May 2016

Jen shared this post on Singaperth about apple picking at a farm in Pickering Brook. Many expressed interest & the plan was to go on Saturday. But I was asked to work on Saturday & hence I decided that we would go on Sunday instead. On arrival, we quickly purchased the empty cardboard tray for $25. Hubs even found out that we could buy a habanero plant if we wanted to for $12. (I recently bought 2 habanero chillies to cook & had reserved the seeds for sowing in warmer months.) 

We started off very rapidly but soon slowed down, becoming more picky with our picks. They had red, pink lady & granny smith. We picked just a few granny smiths for apple dessert as this variety is too sour for my sensitive teeth. (I was thinking ahead. Lol.) The tray was getting heavier by the minute. Towards the end, hubs simply carried the tray on his head. We had a pile of apples & had loaded the tray in the boot when we met 2 other Singaperth families. We went over to say hello & introduce ourselves as it was our 1st meeting. They told us that there were persimmons for picking as well. My eyes lit up. They're my absolute favourite after durians. Just then, Nix & family showed up as well.

So off we went to the car, picked up the tray & went for 2nd round. The persimmons were tiny & hard. But I was told they're sweet & not "siap" like the ones sold in Sin. Most of them were high up in the trees. So I decided to climb up the tree. I've never climbed a tree before. But with a childlike glee, I climbed up & plucked persimmon after persimmon. Hubs then handed me the tray which I really struggled to carry to try getting more persimmons for me. Earlier on, he had found 1 that he said had a penis. He came back to me after a while, obviously excited, hand behind his back. He asked me for the persimmon with the penis & I handed it over to him. He then said, "You have 1 with a penis. Therefore, you must have 1 with a pussy." & whipped out the persimmon he had hidden behind him. I couldn't stop laughing. It certainly looked like the persimmons had male & female parts. 

Hubs then asked me if I wanted the habanero plant. Upon order, the farmer will drive his tractor to wherever it was, dig the plant up & drive it back to you. It was huge & $12 is a very cheap price to pay. But I decided against it as it was really too big. I already have a chilli plant producing plenty of chilli at home. Habanero is too spicy to use in large quantities. So I'll try my luck with the seeds. 

I've been having apples everyday for breakfast & lunch since. We still have a huge amount of apples. Well, the ice cream churner is in the freezer ready to go. Apple sorbet anyone?

Apple farm in Pickering Brook.
Red apple trees. 
Happy picking.
Our tray of assorted apples & persimmons.
The cheeky male & female persimmons.

No comments:

Post a Comment