Friday 13 May 2016

This Is Job Satisfaction

Some of the surgeons I work with can be pretty dead set about how they feel with a new scrub nurse. I'm not new but we all have our own surgeons that we scrub for specifically. They can get very uncomfortable when someone who hasn't scrubbed for them before has to do it. Recently, Dr F was offered the Thursday morning slot that had been left open since another surgeon left the practice. His usual scrub nurse, my colleague, D, only works full days on Mondays & Fridays & half days on Tuesday. Imagine his "surprise" when he walked in on Thursday few weeks ago & found me scrubbed & setting up my trolley. My manager told him that D doesn't work on Thursday & so I would be scrubbing for him that day. He pulled my manager who was scouting for me aside, telling her that she needs to roster D on whenever he has to come in for the Thursday list.

The 1st time I saw him, I got the vibe that he doesn't have a mild temper. Over the course of 2 years, I've seen & proven that my intuition is right. Naturally, I was stressed & anxious about having to scrub for him. But still, a job is a job & I just had to get that list over & done with. It wasn't too bad & it wasn't until the next morning that my manager told me his feedback. He was initially pretty opposed to having me as a scrub nurse. But after that morning, he told her that I am to scrub for him every time D isn't around & that I was very calm & I did very well. So I have been doing it for the past few weeks, slowly getting used to his techniques.

Princess has always been "my" surgeon. Nobody wanted to scrub for her. So when I joined, she sort of got "pushed" to me. Since she's received the nickname of Princess, you can imagine how she's like. She can be quite fussy but over time, I got familiarized with her preferences & it became easier. Or perhaps she's mellowed. I know she's complimented me before on my ability to mount suture for left handers. She told me that of so many scrub nurses she's worked with in so many different hospitals, I am the only 1 who correctly mount sutures for her.

Earlier this week, my manager told me that Princess told her that I am the best scrub nurse she's ever worked with & it is always enjoyable to work with me. I am so flattered. To me, I'm just working to the best of my ability. Coming from Sin, you don't expect positive feedback from surgeons. Putting it in Singlish, "Never scream at you already very lucky. Still want them to praise you ah?" So I am very appreciative for their comments & it actually drives me to perform even better. I used to say all the time back in Sin, "I love my work but I hate my job." Now I can say, "I love my work & I love my job."

1 comment: