Wednesday 30 December 2015

2nd Christmas & Birthday In Perth

I haven't been doing much since last week. I had 21st & 22nd off since there wasn't a list. I went jogging round the neighbourhood on the 22nd, with every intention to do a 5 km. But for some reason, the going got severely tough from the 2 km mark & I only managed to complete 3 km. So I went home & did 1 hour of yoga. I had a full day's work on the 23rd, after which, I went to the gym. While I was at work, I felt light headed every now & then but my BP was in the normal range, though bordering on the lower limits (101/66 mmHg). Since it would probably be my last gym session of the year (unless I drive all the way to my work place to use the gym), I decided to do my Ironman training. It was so, so bad. After the rowing, I could barely cycle & had to stop at the 2 km mark though I had intended to push for 15 km. Sweat was pouring off me like never before. In fact, I dripped a small puddle on the floor where the stationary bike is. While I'll most definitely sweat, I never sweated this much, not even when I'm into the jogging section of the Ironman training. Something definitely wasn't right. It felt extremely tedious but having dropped out of cycling, I pushed to complete 3 km on the treadmill.

It could have something to do with me having my period but I've been to the gym & trained while I was having my period before. I couldn't find an explanation to my sudden decrease in stamina. I tried jogging again on Friday round my neighbourhood but it was the same thing. 3 km was hard. I started having backaches on Monday when my period started. That was pretty normal. But it probably was the precursor to my old injury flaring up. Becoz I haven't been able to bend over for several days. It was so hard to even put my underwear on. That's how bad it is. 

About 6 years ago, I sprained or pulled some muscles in my lower back while at work. I suffered terribly for it. I couldn't sit down & once in the sitting position, I couldn't stand back up. After 1 month of that, hubs finally dragged my ass to a 跌打 but it took another month before my back fully recovered. Ever since then, my back has never been the same. It'll ache badly when I'm having menses or if I've been in the same position for too long (standing too long or sitting in the cinema for too long & occasionally waking up from the pain becoz I've been sleeping in the same position for too long).

It isn't as bad as it was back then but probably halfway there. Hubs rubbed my back twice but it didn't really help. So that was how I spent my 2nd Christmas & birthday in Perth; with debilitating backache. I had my usual yoga session on Sat & that was the last time I did any form of exercise. After the yoga, having stretched it out (after informing my instructor about my back who then modified the session to include more back stretching poses), my mobility increased. But it was back to square 1 the next morning. My back is now aching too badly for me to do anything. I had no choice but to book a remedial massage which is going to set me back $90. :( But it is something I have to do to speed up the healing if I want to go back to training.

We didn't do much over the holiday period. D&J had house warming with house blessing on the 26th. It's beautiful to watch them be surrounded by their family, some of them flew over from Sydney, some from Sg. I saw some photos posted by J where she & her daughter huddled around the kitchen island, learning to make sugee cookies & pineapple tarts from her mother. This is something I've always wished I had. My grandma passed away when I was in Primary 3 & I don't even know if she can cook. My mom can't really cook & she can't bake. I'm the 1st in the family (even in my extended family) to really cook. So there's nobody to pass on some heirloom recipes to me. Watching the priests bless the house touched me to my core. I can feel the love of the family & energy gathering there. It really is beautiful & I'm thankful to have been included.

I ate so much over this period, coupled with the lack of training, I know there'll be hell to pay when I finally get back to gym-ing, hopefully when I start work next Tuesday, pending condition of my back. But I've gone back on track diet-wise since yesterday. I'm somewhat bored at home & I can't wait to get back to work so I can train. Despite my backache, I sorted out the guest bedroom, put the bed frame together again & tipped the mattress back on all by myself. I also managed to stuff as much stuff as I could into the wardrobe in the guest bedroom. I tidied the house somewhat & when I get home from the remedial massage, I'll get onto cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming & mopping the floor. I've harvested my chives & my plan is to bake parmesan & chives bread sticks. Yums!
Christmas eve dinner: Poached giant prawns!
Christmas Day: Roasted duck which turned out very tender to my surprise. My 1st time cooking duck. Had half for lunch & half for dinner. 
Rocky Road I made to bring to D&J's housewarming.
Dim Sum brunch on my birthday.
For those interested to try but doesn't want to head to Northbridge or SOR. Very long queue, reservations recommended. But if it's only for 2 pax, you can just walk in & usually a table is available immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your back. Hope you get better soon. I've passed by Treasure House many times, but have never been.

    ReplyDelete