Saturday 19 December 2015

Our New Addition To The Family

After the failed attempts at adopting another dog, I came across this rescue group, Wish Animal Rescue, on FB. While going through their website, I saw this profile of a dog who tugged at my heart strings. Named Rocky, he was rescued from Kalgoorlie pound by this group after his owner's marriage breakdown. I made arrangements with his fosterer to view him. She suggested Lake Gwelup as I wanted to bring Ton Ton along for a compatibility test. Like I did with Bronson, I made connection with Rocky via distant Reiki. I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise, I got this feeling that Rocky wants to come home with me. We met up for the 1st time on the 6th.

The fosterer told me that his rescue was pretty dramatic. After the marriage breakdown, the wife (perhaps out of spite) dumped him in the pound. 2 weeks later, the husband went to the pound wanting to retrieve him but wasn't willing to pay the 100 odd dollars for his release. He went back later that night with a mate, broke in, trashed the place, beat up a worker in attempts to get Rocky back. Of course, he was charged for it. That was when Wish stepped in to rescue him. His name was actually Junior but somehow he was accidentally renamed Rocky. The fosterer has been calling him Basil in the 2.5 weeks she had had him. It seemed that he had been kept outside most of his life for his elbows & underbelly were rough & hairless, most likely due to lying on hot concrete for extended periods of time. He was also very filthy when he was 1st rescued. 

Perhaps it was the park & not a shelter (where the energy may not be so good), Ton Ton was quite inquisitive with Basil. While they didn't play, they did calmly sniffed each other. Basil went straight to hubs for scratches & cuddles. After that, he came to me for hugs & licked my face. We knew then that he's the right 1. 

But before I could bring him home, the volunteers with Wish needed to do a yard check. So I made arrangements for that to happen the next week. The lady took some pictures of my yard (to make sure that it's secure) & sent them to the fosterer & the founder of the group. They okayed it & I was told I could bring Basil home anytime. I had a day off last Friday so I decided that it would be perfect since we would have the entire weekend to see how he goes at home. Becoz he's had so many names, we decided to keep him as Basil since he's already responding to it.

The adoption process was pretty straight forward. I was handed Basil along with his vaccination card. In the card, it was stated that his year of birth is 2001 which makes him 14 years old. (On their website they had him down as 13.) It's great coz at this age, he should be living out his days in a home where he is loved. He's good in the car except that he kept climbing back & forth from the front to the back of the car. He didn't disturb me while I was driving apart from that which is a good thing. He was a bit unsure but settled in nicely when we got home. 

1 week later, he's pretty well adjusted to his new life with us. He's very savvy. I only had to show him once where he's supposed to sleep & he got it. When I let him out into the yard on the 1st day, he wanted to mark but now, he knew to just empty his bladder in 1 spot while half squatting. He still marks when we go on walks but I must say I'm really amazed.

Lake Gwelup on the day I brought him home.
He took to the lounge chair while indoors almost immediately.
He's such a sweetheart.
My 2 gorgeous boys.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely old dog! Glad he's got a good home and can get along with Ton Ton.

    ReplyDelete