Saturday 11 October 2014

Day Excursion To Freo

This is an excursion I thought of just recently. I was looking at hub's FB (I do that all the time coz his friends always post interesting stuff & I play Criminal Case using his account) & saw a few of his friends visiting Perth for a holiday. It occurred to me that we've been here for a while now. But we haven't done any of the tourist things. In fact, his friends probably went to more places in 1 week than we had in 5 months. So that prompted me to do this day excursion.

We got off on a bad start. Shortly after parking the car, we passed by a group of 3 aboriginal women. 1 of them said, "Hello." My natural reaction was to turn to see who was talking. She followed with, "Aussie wannabe." Of course, I've been warned about them. Still, it stung. Immediately, my buddhist teaching came into my mind. People who respond with biting & bitter words lead a life that is filled with negativity. What is on the inside inevitably spills outside. We all have been dealt shit & will continue to be dealt shit in our lives. What makes a difference is that we turn the negativity into positive actions.

It reminded me of how negative I was with my landlord issue & how I struggled to overcome it. What we give away we receive back. I wish I can exude only positivity. But I guess that's what we're here for. To learn the ways of life & overcome our negative tendencies & lead a purpose filled life in gratitude.

Whether it's with other people or with hubs, I keep quiet becoz even though I'm angry inside. You may think I'm a hypocrite but all I really want is to keep the peace & avoid a confrontation. I know my feelings will not be reciprocated all the time. But sometimes I wonder if I'm the one of the very few who has this mindset. Hubs is my complete opposite. He will not hesitate to give it to you if he feels he's not in the wrong.

We started with Fremantle Market which sadly to say, had nothing much. It was the same with Malaga Market which we visited 3 months back. Perhaps it just feels different when you're visiting as a tourist rather than a resident. But at least we've seen it in person. We took a stroll in the vicinity & came upon the Esplanade. From my "research", the Fishing Harbour is just on the other side of the Esplanade.

Despite it being only 10.30 am, I suggested to hubs that we have Fish N Chips at Kaili's since it was on our itinenary anyway. I always believe that the quality of the food decline sharply when there's a huge demand, like during lunch or dinner hour. We chose to sit outside where it was cooler (yeah, it was warm indoors) & we had a view of the harbour. 2 ladies came after us & sat outside as well. For some reason, the seagulls kept attacking them & managed to flip a box of Fish N Chips onto the floor. They moved further in but the seagulls were relentless & made off with their scallops. They finally moved indoors. We were sitting just next to them but the seagulls didn't even made any attempts on us. I joked that it must be becoz hubs has a 杀气 & therefore they avoided us.

We made our way back to the car & drove to our next destination: Fremantle Prison. I had a voucher so we got huge discount off our tickets. We did the package that included the Doing Time & Great Escapes tours, originally $28 per pax. We paid $36 for 2. The prison was still in use up to 1991. The conditions prisoners had to put up with were appalling. We were told that some of the prisoners who finished serving their time frequently come back on the tour. That concludes our day in Freo.

No comments:

Post a Comment