Friday 31 October 2014

Back To Basics

We spent a good deal of time & brain power to green up the lawn. Several weeks ago, there was a day where the temperatures hit 35 degrees. In the days that follow, big patches of the lawn turned yellow. At the pot luck, J was sharing with me the products she use on her garden. I bought the same product (Thrive) in power form as it is cheaper than the liquid ones she uses. But after several weeks, the lawn still refuses to green up.

Sometime last week, Thursday I think, P & J came over as they wanted to drop off 2 bicycles & a pot of oregano for us. At the same time, they wanted to have a look at our lawn. They said the lawn doesn't look too bad (though I know my landlord will beg to differ) & it's normal not to have a lawn that is entirely green. It's normal to have yellow or brown patches. Then J asked if the sprinklers are reaching all areas of the lawn. She advised us to just keep watering the lawn & it will green up. So on non-reticulation days, we'll just have to do it manually.

Thinking of cheating, I set the system to water the back lawn everyday. The back is all fenced up so I think we won't be caught & it'll save me lots of time. I'll just water the smaller lawn patch out on the front by hose. Remembering what J said about the sprinklers, I stood there, watching as the stations came on 1 by 1. True enough, the massive yellow patches were not watered. The water didn't reach those areas.

I guess I think too far & complicated that I overlooked the simplest rational for it. Perhaps also becoz the landlord kept blaming us for the weeds & therefore depriving the lawn of nutrients that I kept thinking the problem is due to lack of fertilisation. In the end, it wasn't something we did to the lawn. It wasn't even the weeds. The lawn wasn't thriving simply becoz it wasn't getting the water it needs. Perhaps that's the solution to life itself. I wonder if the many problems we're facing just requires a back to basics approach as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment