Saturday 27 December 2014

1st Christmas In Perth

This was how we spent our 1st Christmas in Perth. At a dog beach just north of Floreat Beach. You know how much I hated the heat so it took a lot just to get out of the house. I wonder if I've gotten so used to the cooler seasons that I felt 32 degrees, the average temperature in Sg, was unbearable. It is definitely less humid here but when the sun hits the skin, it feels like my skin is going to sizzle & blacken any second now. I chose to leave after 4 pm, knowing that we would arrive at 5ish when the temperatures have dropped somewhat, much to the dismay of hubs. Ton Ton being Ton Ton, was terrified of the water & refused to play like all the other dogs. In fact, he kept a 10 m distance from the shore. If I had appropriate attire & a towel, I would have gone into the water, carrying Ton Ton with me.

A very big difference is how big a festive Christmas is in Australia. I liken it to our CNY where majority of the shops are closed. A lot of people also spent a lot of money fixing up their house with lightings, giant sized Santa Claus & some even put reindeers on their roof. I'm not a Christian so Christmas has always been another public holiday to me. (So is Vesak Day by the way.) Then, there is the Boxing Day & with it, the Boxing Day sale. I don't really have anything I want to buy though.

I did make a pasta bake. Between me & hubs, we polished off two-thirds of it. Guess what happened to the remaining one-third? I went outside to water the lawn as usual. While outside, I heard a thud coming from the house. It sounded like something metal had fallen to the floor. We had this warming rack for the barbie that we didn't fix up since we didn't think we would use it. So I thought that had fallen over. It wouldn't be the 1st time anyway. I wasn't too concerned as hubs was in the living room. A few minutes later, I heard it again. The thought that came to me was, "Oh no! Don't tell me it's the pasta bake!"

I rushed in, hubs was still sitting in front of the computer, oblivious to the fact that Ton Ton had managed to drag the pasta bake in its baking tin to the floor right behind where he was sitting & had eaten chunks out of it. Needless to say, it was unfit for human consumption after that. Ton Ton spent the next few hours lying down right beside the Butsudan, obviously knowing what he had done was wrong. So that concludes my mundane life over the holiday period.

P.S.: I finally finished reading Under The Dome last Sunday. Took me 4 weeks which is a very long time for me. I have finished reading another 3 books by Mary Higgins Clark since then. That's 3 books over 5 days. So yeah, I better stick to my favourite authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment