Tuesday 30 December 2014

季节的变化

I know I'm gonna seem so sua ku but such things were not part of my syllabus when I attended school. Maybe it's becoz I didn't take Geography for O levels. Or is this even covered by Geography? Seems like astronomy to me. I was curious to know why the seasons are polar opposites between the northern & southern hemispheres. All the years of my life, the only winter I know is from Dec to Jan. I never knew or heard of winter in June & summer in Dec until a friend migrated to Sydney. So I did a search on Yahoo (that's the only search engine I use).

Turns out that our so called north pole is not pointing exactly north in relation to the sun. Earth is tilted by 23.5°. North pole is actually pointing somewhat north east & south pole is actually pointing somewhat south west. This tilt causes north pole in summer to receive 24 hours of sunlight while south pole (which is in winter) to receive none at all. The same happens in reverse. Earth is closer to the sun during summer in the southern hemisphere, causing summer to be harsher compared to summer in the northern hemisphere. Searching for this topic on youtube produces interesting & more comprehensive videos.

What I do know is that it's gonna be a very harsh day today. Sadly, the Bureau of Meteorology is hardly wrong. (Of course they have to be accurate.) So if it says it's a maximum of 39°c today, it will definitely hit 39°c. I've already turned the evaporative air conditioning on minimum coz it works best when it's still somewhat cool. When it gets really hot, it doesn't work even if I turn it to maximum power.

I'm just gonna stay at home & be a hermit. Unfortunately, the library doesn't reopen till the 5th & I've finished reading all the books I've borrowed as of Sunday. Maybe I shall watch more educational videos on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment