Thursday 1 January 2015

Not For The Faint Hearted

Let me introduce you to the spiciest instant noodles I have ever eaten, just as my colleague from my previous workplace introduced it to me in between sucking air through her swollen red lips. This is an absolute no go for the unseasoned palate. Even for 1 as seasoned as mine, it packs enough power to reduce me to 一把眼泪一把鼻涕。

I started my chilli journey in Primary 5. It was a trend in my school tuckshop (gosh, how long have I not heard this word being used?) that those who ordered noodles soup will add the chilli sauce (meant for dry noodled) into the soup. I was curious, very much like the guys being curious about cigarettes but rapidly became addicted to it. I started off with 1 scoop of the chilli sauce & worked my way up to 4. But for my love of all things spicy, I dislike normal raw chilli. You'll never see me eating cut chilli with hor fun.

Just a little background as an illustration of the level of spiciness I can tolerate. When everyone around me says something is very spicy, I'm like, "Erm... just a little." Whenever we go for steamboat, I'll drink the mala (麻辣) soup directly from the pot. 

This instant noodles is a product of Korea. I could only find it in the Korean specialty shops initially. But I think it gained such popularity that NTUC started selling it as well. This is 1 instant noodle that hubs refuses to touch. I found this for sale at the asian supermarket in Altone. $5.99 for a pack of 5. If I didn't remember wrongly,  it's the same price in Sg.

The chilli sauce is so red that it appears black when you 1st empty the sachet into a bowl. It only becomes apparent that it is indeed red when you're stirring the noodles in. Just a whiff of the sauce sends my salivary glands into overdrive. 1st mouthful wasn't too bad. But with each subsequent mouthfuls of noodles, it added to the layer of heat storm in the mouth, until you're reduced to tears & mucous. Some people asked, "Why torture yourself?" But speak to any chilli lover & they'll tell you it's not torture. The spicier it is, the more shiok it is.

It took only 5 mins of sucking air through the mouth for the heat to dissipate. But it could possibly be the longest 5 mins of your life. Whatever you do, don't drink cold stuff to quench the fire. Within seconds, you'll experience a worse afterburn. Just suck it (air) up & it'll soon be over. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I went and bought this after reading your post, in anticipation of sweating my ass off.

    Imagine my dismay when it didn't give me swollen lips nor tears.

    Sorry lady, you've got a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete