Monday 26 January 2015

Baked Aubergine With Lemon Infused Couscous

Blog has taken on a depressive tone & what better way to add some cheer than everybody's favourite? Food. I've recently ordered from Book Depository a vegan cookbook, Keep It Vegan by Aine Carlin. I've got lots of cookbook in Sg & hubs always complain that I buy them but never cook from them. Over the years, I've learnt how to choose cookbooks that I know I'll cook from. Most importantly, an ingredients list that isn't super long & many of which you'll only need a little & never use again. Since I ordered this book online, I didn't know what it is like inside, whether it fulfills my requirement. Thankfully, when I flipped through it when it finally came in the mail, I noted the repeated ingredients in multiple recipes, which means I can safely buy them & not having to worry about wastage. She uses a lot of smoked paprika powder, agave nectar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard & balsamic vinegar (which I already have).

I chose baked aubergine with lemon infused couscous as I had 2 boxes of couscous which I bought when they were on half price at Coles 2 or 3 months back & it's about time for clearance. While the aubergine will probably be cheaper in the asian supermarket than Coles, it seemed unwise to drive 18 km to Altone Park when Coles is just 1 km away. The nearest to parsley would have been coriander which unfortunately due to my un-green thumb, didn't survive. So I substituted the parsley for basil & oregano from my pots. The most expensive ingredient has got to be the pine nuts ($12+ for 200g), followed by the aubergine which was going for $3 per piece. The recipe called for 1 aubergine to be split in half but I thought, "Sure won't be full lah!" so I bought 2 instead. Boy, was I wrong. After eating half an aubergine, I was so stuffed that the remaining 2 halves went into the fridge to be served at dinner.

So here's what I've whipped up for lunch today. Oh yeah, not forgetting that this is it for dinner too. I'm looking forward to trying out other recipes from my new cookbook.

1 comment: