Wednesday 21 January 2015

Curse Of The Lawn Beetle

So there. The culprit of my dead lawn. They successfully killed half the lawn in half the time I took to green it up. It started with patches of dead grass which slowly expended till they merged into 1 big dead patch. It's hard to come to a diagnosis as I've not seen them prior to this. I've read that you can pour soapy water (lots of it) on the lawn & they'll emerge from underground. It'll not kill them but merely confirms their existence. In another article, it says that lawn beetles & grubs help to aerate the soil & stimulate root growth. Regardless, they destroyed half of my back lawn &  80% of my front lawn. So they need to be gone before the grass can have a chance to grow back. 

I used the same local business that got rid of my wasp's nest. He came on Monday & explained that he sprayed a wetting agent, insecticide & liquid fertiliser on the lawn. By yesterday evening, I saw some dead beetles on the lawn. By this afternoon, there were lots more. While I could have done it by myself, it would have been time consuming for me & worse still, may not be a perfect job. So I feel that this $110 is well spent. Hopefully with this underlying problem gotten rid of, I'll be able to restore the lawn to an acceptable condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment