Saturday 21 February 2015

Another One Bites The Dust

Not somebody but rather, a friendship. I've began to accept this as a norm. People come & people go. I can only send my best wishes from the bottom of my heart.

I 1st knew Jon when we were in secondary 2. He's my 1st male friend as my parents forbade me to have any when I was younger. I had a major crush on him probably due to that fact. Of course, he wasn't interested. I found out years later the reason why when he came out. By then, I had long lost interest & had my share of ex-boyfriends.

We can't be more different. He likes his fun. Frequent clubbing, drinking & at a later stage, even drugs like Ice. I was dismayed by his lifestyle choice but I never said anything. He didn't need to hear it from me. If I'm doing something I know is wrong, I won't accept it graciously when someone tries to talk me out of it either. Instead, I prayed that it is a phrase he'll grow out of. I don't know if he still does drugs but drinking is definitely a yes. I was worried when I saw him going down the path of an alcoholic, frequently drinking till he passed out by the roadside & waking the next morning to find his wallet & mobile phone gone from his pockets. I was the one who went to the Ubi police station to bail him out when in a drunken state, crashed his motorbike into a van which subsequently got his license terminated, a fine & a 5 year driving ban.

I cried when he left for Norway to be with his partner, even though I myself will leave for Perth a year down the road. 18 years is a long time. He got mad at me for not informing him that my number had been changed. Actually, I didn't realise it until J told me coz she tried messaging me & got a stranger instead. (Singtel recycled my number & gave it to someone else.) There're many people in my contact list that I don't keep in contact with & I left him out when I informed others of my number. I did give my friends my Aussie number but whatsapp was still pegged to my Sg number you see. So they needed to do the conversion.

Then I found out on FB that he's moving away from Oslo, Norway. When I asked him if he's returning to Sg, he said, "Close. Moving to ST." I can't think of a country with the initials ST & I couldn't get my answer online either. So I asked him. But I didn't get a reply while he continue replying to others.

In Buddhism there is a quote that goes, "It's the heart that is important." I guess it doesn't quite matter whether people wants to keep me in their lives or not. They will always have a place in my heart & my prayers will always go out to them. Be well, my friend. May you find the happiness you're searching for.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Happy CNY to you and your family :) i think the nearest ST to Singapore will be southern thailand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too! I'm not sure if he was referring to alphabetically close (SG & ST) or geographically close. I guess I'll find out in due time coz his FB postings are geographically tagged.

      Delete
  2. ST = São Tomé and Príncipe?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.st

    Actually, given his lifestyle preference that you described above, Singapore is definitely not the place for him. Nordic countries are more tolerant, even better is Netherlands (the Dutch has very revolutionary approach to "harm reduction").

    Shui2 yuan2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it might be Sao Tome as well. But I found out that it stands for Stavanger, Norway. Yup, the only thing to do is to let it be.

      Delete