Monday 4 August 2014

Feelings On Migration Thus Far

Heard quite a few comments from people I know personally & not about what their "friends" have to say about their migration. The remarks are usually negative, something along the line that they're traitors, they're weak as they can't take the stress & pace of SG, they're parents deserters, grass is definitely not greener in Australia, etc. I don't have people saying that to me, at least not in my face. But if these people are your friends, they'll be happy for you & not dumping truckloads of negativity on you.
As many migrants have said, migration is a very personal choice. We all leave for different reasons. Most importantly, we must be happy with our decision. Let's not allow ourselves to be derailed by other people's comments.
I don't want to paint a beautiful picture to mislead people. From my previous posts, you would have seen how we struggled initially. The doubts, the uncertainties had crippling effects on us. Even till now, I don't feel that I fit in. Am I better off here than in SG? Hmm... tough question. Being here means I'm not getting any contributions to my CPF. 1 day whatever little funds I have in my CPF will be depleted & I'll have to come out with $800+ cash per month for my HDB flat that my parents are still staying in. On top of that, I'm still paying $200+ for PruLife, PruSave & PruCash as well as my parents' bills in SG. That's easily $1400 a month.
As long as I'm able to nett 5k (on sole income) I'll be able to sustain with none left for savings. If hubs can bring in some income to help with the rent, I'll be able to save the equivalent. On the other hand, I do feel I'm getting more out of life. On my days off, I get to do what I desire rather than recuperating from work. I no longer suffer from insomnia due to overworking & stress. So while I may not be better off financially, I'm defintely getting a better quality of life. Every night when I let Ton out, I'll look up to the sky & the view of the stars never cease to awe me. While staring into the night sky, I'll send a thank you out into the universe for whatever I have now. 快乐其实是可以很简单。

No comments:

Post a Comment