Monday 15 September 2014

2nd Accident In Less Than 5 Months

Can you believe it? I hardly can. It's only been 4 months & 1 week since we arrived in Perth & I've already gotten into my 2nd accident. It really doesn't matter how safely you drive. If other road users aren't driving safely, accidents still happen.

I was on my way to work this morning when it happened just before 6.30 am. It was totally bright already so it wasn't a visibility problem. I was driving on the main road, keeping left, approaching a T junction. A black Mazda 3 just came out without stopping to wait for traffic aka me to clear. It was too late to brake (that's how near I was) so my reaction was to swerve to the right. But I couldn't avoid her & she hit me on the left rear side.

We drove a bit further down away from the T junction & exchanged particulars. She asked me whose fault was it. She said she didn't even see me. I said the car beside her didn't proceed coz they were coming out from a side street onto the main road & they have to give way. I noticed that she had a green P plate sticker on her windscreen. So perhaps that's why. She doesn't have insurance which I later heard from my CNM that insurance for P platers are very expensive & their excess very high. Hence, some people will choose not to have insurance.

We were just done when a guy in his ute drove past & yelled out to us, "Get off the road man!" Geez. Can't you see that we've just had an accident? We couldn't have stopped for more than 5 mins. I considered taking the day off but that will mean losing $300 of income so I continued driving to work with the left side of my bumper unhinged. It wasn't dragging the ground & it didn't come off even with the drive back home. Hubs reattached the bumper for me but I'm left with scratches on that part of the bumper & my left rear tire. I'm just thinking is it worth going through the hassle contacting my insurance company & bringing it down to their workshop.

I've decided to invest in a car camera so in the event I rear end someone, I have evidence. Coz on the drive home, I encountered several more incidents. The car in front of me was very far from the car in front of him but he kept braking hard for no apparent reason other than trying to cause me to hit him. Then there were 4 incidents where drivers turned out onto the road I was on even though it was very obvious they will not clear, causing me to brake hard. So having the camera will protect me when I'm not at fault in the event of an accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment