Friday 5 September 2014

Mystery Solved

I finished work early today & got home at 2 pm. I set off to work immediately on the lawn. What surprised me was that the weeds were not that bad. Unless you count the ones I call SG grass (coz they look exactly like the grass we have in SG). My landlord previously told me that it is grass & we can just leave it. So I thought to myself, "What the heck! I'll just pull out every damn thing that doesn't look like couch or whatever the breed of the lawn is." Even my landlord herself isn't sure what type of lawn she put in.

When hubs got home, I took a break to greet him at the door. Only then did I realised that it was already 4 pm. No wonder I felt giddy when I stood up. I had been kneeling & bending over the lawn for 2 hours!

I've asked colleagues & friends for advice on the state of the lawn. Everyone tells me to just apply the Feed n Weed. How will my landlord know? The next time they're here, all they'll see is lush green lawn without weeds. Getting a gardener in will cost us more per hour than what both our salaries combine. But I just feel that since they don't allow any weed killers on the lawn, then let's just not do it. We still need to solve the problem of the lawn not being very green. So I took a picture of the lawn, rip off a piece of the "grass" that my landlord said was grass & set off for Bunnings.

We got help from a staff & he confirmed that the so called "grass" is actually weed. No wonder the lawn isn't growing well. If I had known that was weed, I would have pulled them out like I did with the other weeds during my weekly weeding sessions. Mystery solved. But then the entire lawn is full of this "weed grass" so I'll be spending the entire weekend pulling them out. The staff recommended a fertiliser that contains wetting agent (becoz we have sand instead of soil) & told us to apply it after we're done with the weeding. So hopefully that'll work. Our damage's slightly cheaper than having a gardener for an hour. But that's becoz we bought a fertiliser spreader & a 9L watering can as well. I saw couch seeds for sale as well. If all else fails, I'll get that & regrow the lawn.

Knowing what the problem is lifted a weight off our shoulders. Hubs appears not to be so mad about the entire incident anymore. He told me "Oh well. Doesn't matter what you were told. That's in the past. Now we know better. Let's just get the thing done." I'm glad coz it's almost his birthday & I don't want this incident to dampen his spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment