Saturday 24 October 2015

Mostly Recovered

So I went to the GP on Monday. It was my 1st time seeing a doctor for illness here in Perth. When I saw the GP in Sg with a URTI as severe as this, I would be given 1 day MC. If I went to the staff clinic, I would be given 2 days. The GP I saw gave me 5 days! I voiced my concerns about missing work as I'm the sole scrub nurse for that particular surgeon. He told me that I'm working with vulnerable patients so it is important that I be well. That really threw me off. All along, I've been told that I must show up for work unless I'm too sick to get out of bed. I've been conditioned so well that it didn't even occur to me that I'm putting patients at risk.

With plenty of rest, vitamin c, I'm mostly well again. I even went jogging yesterday. Colleagues in a different department (but on the same floor just down the corridor) had URTI as well & they haven't even completely recovered after 4 weeks. So I'm considered quite lucky. In fact, I'm going back to the gym next week.

I met up with J & J in Northbridge for lunch after work on Friday. It was my 1st time in the city. Just a few shops down from the Japanese restaurant where we ate was a shop that is a baker's dream shop. They sold different types of flour, grains, dried fruits etc from sacks. Now I know where to get the fanciful stuff if recipes call for it.

We'll have to clean my car tomorrow becoz I'm to ferry my colleague to a seminar next Friday & it's not nice to sit her in my dirty car. Then it's off to the Soka center for the Women's Division Friendship Meeting. I guess I will fit my jog in when I get home coz exercise before dinner somehow kills my appetite & I end up eating less which is a good thing. I've even made arrangement with J's DIL to learn yoga from her. It is something I've always wanted to do but never had the time for. I'm busy but I'm happily busy. I'm no longer living to work, work & work. Like I said before, moving to Perth has allowed me to regain my life. I'm forever thankful coz I know how blessed I've been.

2 comments:

  1. A new country, new attitudes and a new happier life. I am so glad I made the move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. > "He told me that I'm working with vulnerable patients so it is important that I be well."

    Yes, major differences. You can tell which country truly values "patients' well-being", and which merely pays lip-service to it.

    My experience in Singapore is similar to yours:
    http://winkingdoll.blogspot.ca/2010/06/time-to-change-tune.html
    http://winkingdoll.blogspot.ca/2010/05/urti.html

    Here in Canada, I have called in sick without any proof requested (Medical Certification of Unfit for work).

    ReplyDelete