Wednesday 5 November 2014

2 Years Wedding Anniversary

Maybe it's just me or maybe it's just the passage of age. I find that the older I get, the less obsessed I am about the passing of time. When I was younger, I kept meticulous tabs on "anniversaries". 1 week, 1 month, so on & so forth. I was even so throughout my 1st marriage. I used to be able to tell you the date we met, the date we officially started dating, the wedding date & year (with my ex). Of course, by now I no longer commit them to memory & neither do I want to.

What surprises me is my lack of memory with hubs (the current 1). Of course, I remember that 29th Nov was when we started dating. (I've always said it's the 28th but he insisted it's the 29th coz it was past midnight & I concur.) 5th Nov is our wedding anniversary aka solemnisation date, a 吉日 based on our 八字. 26th March the following year was our wedding banquet & we flew off to Melbourne for our self drive honeymoon on the 28th.

Just a few days ago, I was struggling to remember which anniversary it is. Is it the 1st or the 2nd? (Answer is 2nd.) How many years have we been a couple? I have no idea. I think it's 5. (I confirmed with hubs. It was 2009 so it's 5 years.) He wasn't insulted that I couldn't remember. Well, he always forgets his age & confuses me all the time. 彼此彼此吧。

How is it that something that used to be so important is now longer held in the highest esteem anymore? I don't think it's age. I see friends on FB wishing their partner happy monthisaries (yeah, they celebrate anniversary by the month) & they're of the same age. Only difference is that these people are in their 1st serious relationship (by serious I mean dating to marry). Perhaps it's the loss of romanticism & naivety in me.

The years are of no importance. If someone wants out, they can do it at anytime, regardless if you've been together for a year, 10 years or more. For me, it's the realisation  that marriage is more than the monthly or yearly celebrations of anniversaries. I'm sure some will disagree when I say that marriage is actually quite mundane. It's true. But there is a beauty in the mundane that can't be replaced.

In 1 of my 1st few posts in this blog, I asked myself what makes a marriage work. I'm sure we can all give model answers. It's living these model answers that makes it work. But there will be lapses. It's inevitable, hard as we try. It's alright. There're no guarantees but we'll just try our hardest.

Anyway, hubs made nasi lemak for our anniversary "feast". Just a normal day, just our usual routine. Just the way I like it.

2 comments:

  1. There are no model answers. The questions change every minute and the ones who do well in the exam are those who can tackle the questions best on the spot and who are willing to continue doing it for a long time. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post!! I really like the pictures of food items!! Last night I also booked finest banquet halls in Chicago through a fantastic website eventup.com. Actually I was browsing the internet and I found this website. I am very much satisfied by the selection of the venue.

    ReplyDelete