Tuesday 4 November 2014

Melbourne Cup

I didn't know why all the hype about Melbourne Cup. I initially thought it's a sports event which turns out to be an international horse racing event held in Melbourne every year. The opening race is always on the 1st Tuesday of November. 1 of my colleague told me that it has a nick that I can't seem to remember. I think it might be drop everything race or something to that effect. Everyone drops everything, people who are working stops work for that few minutes just to watch it. So along with my colleagues, we watched the opening race.

I never was interested in horse racing. I was neutral, neither disliking or liking it. But it was later when I heard the terrible news that changed my views about it in a southward direction. It's just a senseless, egoistic revenue for the rich to flaunt their wealth. 1 of the horses was a favourite, deemed to place highly in the race. He came in last. So it was going to be brought back to the stall for a vet to examine him. But he collapsed & dropped dead before he could be sent to the stall. All I could think of was how uncomfortable & sick he felt. Yet, he couldn't voice it out & was forced to race, finally paying with his life.

The next news was worse. 1 of the horses sustained a fracture in his leg after the race & was euthanize. EUTHANIZE. Shouldn't euthanasia be reserved for the terminally ill & be used as a last resort so as to shorten the suffering? The owners of the horses are very rich people I'm sure. It isn't cheap to raise a race horse, train it & hire a jockey to race it. So why did the owner make the call to euthanize the horse just becoz he had a broken leg? Surely the owner has enough money to treat the horse. Becoz even if his leg was treated, he'll never race again. This is what society has become. Anything or anyone that is of no use to you, just get rid of them.

Their lives are so cheap. Their lives meant nothing. It makes me so sad & so mad. But what can I do? I can't change the world & the way it runs. Humanity will run itself to ruin.

No comments:

Post a Comment