Saturday 29 November 2014

Regular Patron Of The Library

You know you're a bookworm when you're such a regular patron of the library that you exhausted all the books by your favourite author. I'm kinda particular about the books I read. I love detective thrillers that are fast paced. That's why I love James Patterson so much. I read every single available book of his from the library & I don't know what else to read.

I know there're many popular authors but I haven't found another author whose style of writing I enjoy. I love Dan Brown & I own every single book he's ever written. He isn't as prolific a writer as JP becoz of the extensive research that goes into each novel. I love Mary Higgins Clark as well. I shall keep my eyes peeled for her books next.

Under The Dome was already in its 2nd season here. It looked like it had an interesting storyline. But I won't read or watch something that didn't have a beginning available to me. Hence, I didn't watch it when it aired some time back. As I was scouring the library shelves last weekend, I came across the original Under The Dome by Stephen King that the TV series was based on. It's a mammoth of a book well over 800 pages. I wouldn't normally read such thick books coz it usually means that the story is draggy & I tend to get bored. I've lost count of the numerous authors whose books I gave up reading after a hundred pages or so. (Yeah, I'm hard to please when it comes to novels.)

It's been a week & I've only managed 200 over pages (that's just a quarter of the book). That's very slow for me. I can finish JP in a day (his books are usually 400 over pages thick). Just as I expected, the story moves slowly. The only driving me on is my desire to find out if the dome is a supernatural event or a man made 1 as suspected by the town people in the story. But SK is good in that he made me "hate" the nasty character in the story, just as a good actor makes you hate the villain he's playing.

When I was young, I hated reading. It bores me to death. Then I realised that it was the genre of the books that fail to interest me. I picked up R. L. Stein & Christopher Pike in Primary 6 & never looked back. I found my passion. Books that keep me guessing till the end who the killer is. I know I will never be able to appreciate classics or romance or fantasy. Some people will never enjoy reading. Like hubs. Me, I just love a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment