Monday 24 November 2014

Strawberries Galore

Mid last week, hubs told me that Nix asked him if we would like to pick strawberries at a strawberry farm on Sat. Of course I said yes. Even if it's for an hour, it's nice to have something to do, be with people I like. Not just the 2 of us staring at each other at home wondering where to go.

Along the way, we marveled at the beautiful sights. As it is considered a rural area, much of it was untouched, undeveloped. I told hubs, "There's a beautiful country side right at our backdoor & we didn't even know it!"

We arrived at the strawberry farm in Bullbrooks at 10.05 am, running 5 minutes late. The location wasn't in the GPS & there were 2 roads with the same name. We did a few U-turns before I saw the road sign. We were on the correct road but if we turn left, the road name remains the same. Usually, once you make a turn, the road name changes you see. So I told hubs, let's try turning left & see where it leads us. That turned out to be where we were supposed to be.

The moment I opened the car door, a sweet scent lingering in the air hit me. It was not the scent of strawberries, just something sweet that I couldn't put a finger on. Nix, Jen & another couple, L & M were already there. We took some pictures & headed in. They were selling an empty tray for $10 or 2 punnets for $5. We bought the tray to share among the us. It didn't take long to fill the tray (no heaping allowed).

At the end of our harvesting 1 hour plus later, I had sand in my shoes, dirt under my nails but I really enjoyed myself. Even after splitting the loot, we still ended up with a huge mixing bowl of strawberries. The strawberries were super sweet & not a single 1 was sour, unlike the store bought ones. They were so good that we ate it as it is, instead of making dessert with them. That concluded our Sat morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment