Sunday 16 November 2014

Ever The Accident Magnet


This is my solution. Can't prevent accidents but can be a source of evidence if I get into 1. Haven't been blogging coz it was time of the month & I was extra achy & extra tired. So I slept at 8 pm everyday. 

2 Fridays ago, I had another near miss. Imagine a T junction & again, I was going straight. A car had stopped on the dotted give way line on the side road to my right. This time, I was on the right lane. At the last possible minute, the driver decided he (I use he but I don't know if it's a man or woman) wanted to make a dash for it. I actually shouted "Whoa whoa whoa!" while stomping on the brakes & swerving to the left at the same time. I braced myself for impact. But maybe he saw the horror on my face or suddenly realised if he proceeded a crash would be imminent & he stopped. I successfully skirted around the head of his car.

I decided enough is enough. I've had enough of all these close calls. If I hit the car in front of me, surely it'll be ruled against me. Having video recordings will work in my favour in the event that the accident isn't my fault. When I told hubs, even he asked me, "Why is it that you always meet these kind of drivers?" He was all for the idea to get a video recorder. 

Good fortune galore. When we headed to Repco last weekend, this Drive Video Recorder cum rear view mirror was on offer. The original price was $129 & it was now selling for $69. There was 1 model down with only VGA quality recording going for $59. This records HD quality videos for $10 more. Not a difficult choice isn't it? 

A class 10 high speed micro SD card is required for this device & we headed to Midland yesterday for a look. We went to Office Works 1st. They were selling the 16GB for $19.90 & the 8GB for $7.90. The Good Guys was selling the exact same thing for $28.90 & $16.90 for the 8 GB. JB Hi Fi next door was around the same price. The price difference was so huge that we went back to Office Works to make sure we didn't get the price wrong the 1st time round. We bought the 8GB card from Office Works which we were told can hold up to 4 hours of recording in HD. 

Hubs had just given my car a much needed wash & "installed" the recorder for me. It doesn't actually require installation, just attach it to the current rear mirror, plug it in & adjust the settings. We've tested it & it works. So yay! All ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment