Sunday 10 January 2016

The Food Lover's Soul

It took us an hour to get to Langford. The heat was scorching even with the car air conditioning blasting away. It had already hit the maximum temperature prediction of 36°c by the time we left at 1 pm. As we had lost time searching for the missing ring, we went straight to Ah Beng's Kopithiam for lunch. I greedily gulped down 2 large mouthfuls of my drink when it arrived. It was the 1st time I've seen such a combination: rose syrup with chinchao. 

The cold rose syrup chinchao & ice coffee gave us some relief from the heat.
The food is actually not bad. The flavours are not Singaporean. So perhaps Malaysian? I tried some of hub's Ah Beng Special Fried Rice. It's basically seafood fried rice with prawn paste pork & prawn crackers. We helped ourselves to the condiments & their chicken rice chilli (they call it sambal chilli though) is good (as in spicy enough). I was contemplating between the Black Bean Noodles & Ah Beng Special Noodles. Black bean won. The bowl it came in was gigantic. Perhaps twice the size of my head. I can't comment on the serving size coz I'm pretty sure I would have been able to finish it if I hadn't been watching my weight (& hence shrunken stomach). I opted to add beef brisket for $4 more. Otherwise, it would have just came with a thin slice of tau gua & half a hard boiled egg. Unique flavours but would be really good with a kick of sambal chilli. (They only have chicken rice chilli, normal chilli sauce (Maggi type) & chilli oil. The chilli oil is more fragrant than spicy.)

Hub's Ah Beng Special Fried Rice.
King Black Bean Noodles with Beef Brisket
With a full tummy, we took the short drive to Spencer Village. We went into the oriental homeware store & immediately, I found what I was looking for. I wanted to try my hands at making kombucha & it is best left fermenting in a glass container. The acids formed will interact with metal & only certain kinds of plastics are allowed. When I told my yoga teacher of my plans for the day, she laughed & said my house is like a science lab. (This is becoz I was given a batch of sourdough by my colleague on Friday which I have to stir daily & feed once weekly to keep it alive.) So yay! Now I'm just awaiting for my kombucha culture to arrive.

Finally found the glass jar I was looking for.
Hubs decided that he wanted to make claypot rice & so we got 1. I practically had to force him to get the 1 that is of better quality. Now, you don't want to spend $10 less & have it cause you grieve later. D&J recently caused quite a stir at 1 of the gatherings by bringing in home made tau huay. A lot of people asked for the magic ingredient (lactone) & I took it a step further by getting the container & scoop. Well, we were already there at the shop anyway. Might as well.
Joining in the tau huay craze.
I eventually got to shower following the discovery of the lost ring. Then, it was over to D&J's place where we couldn't wait to land our hands on the Buah Keluak dish. We were given some to take home too. A great way to end a great day.
We got to eat & da bao.

2 comments:

  1. Where do you get the lactone from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told Phoon Huat in Sg. So when I go back, I'll bring back some.

      Delete