Friday 8 January 2016

The Grass Is NOT Greener Over Here

Recently, I keep coming across posts from people wanting to migrate to Australia saying how the grass is greener here compared to Sg. Now, I feel that I must debuff this misconception. Contrary to popular belief, the reserve holds true. Since we're in summer, let me start with summer. With the temperatures consistently in the high 30s to low 40s, coupled with low or even no rainfall (it didn't rain for a few months last summer) the grass here turns brown. Autumn rains & weather brings some life back to the grass but before it can prosper, winter comes around. With water restriction in winter, you're not allowed to use your reticulation. Not too much of an issue since it's a rainy season. But, the low temperatures put the grass into hibernation mode. Turns yellow again. By late spring, when the grass is finally grass once more, you guess it. It's summer already. So no. Myth debunked. Grass is green all year round in Sg compared to perhaps half a year in Oz. Lame jokes aside, I understand where they're coming from. I was once in their position, looking at Oz through rose tinted glasses. More to convince myself that Sg is an absolutely horrible place to live in & to justify the move to Oz. In the end, I've come to realise that it all fell away, severely lacking in substantiality.

I complained about how cars are unaffordable in Sg. It is true. The latest $9k drop in COE see the Suzuki Swift drop to $85k. It is selling for $17k here. But the other thing that is true is that the public transport in Sg is really superior. If I were to take the public transport to work here, it'll take me 2.5 hours 1 way, excluding waiting time.

I complained also about how we don't actually own our HDB flat (since it's on a 99 year lease) even after paying high prices for it. It's true. But I didn't see the policies needed to be taken out (home & contents insurance), the possibility that at anytime, a bush fire can wipe out your home, the fact that you can't even change a tap by yourself (you need a qualified, licensed plumber) because you'll void the insurance or warranty for your house. Or if you're renting, the grief that's dished out to you if you're unlucky, like in my previous rental place.

Yes, the education system here is less stressful (I'm gonna have to take everybody's words for it since I don't have a kid). There're more opportunities & choices. But it is also true that there are many who choose to bum around at home, waiting for Centrelink to dole out payments instead of going out to be gainfully employed. It is most definitely true that drugs are a rampant problem here. While we can teach our kids the right thing, they are ultimately their own person & will make their own decision. Sometimes, despite our best intentions, they turn bad. The culture here makes it worse. Is it a better place to raise a kid here? Only if they don't turn bad.

The job market is really bad right now. My colleague has gone back to Sg for good becoz her husband has been laid off & haven't been able to find a job for a while. My manager's husband is out of work as well & she's so stressed trying to make ends meet. Another colleague's husband has been out of job for more than half a year. I can't even count the number of people I know who has been laid off due to the economical downturn. In the hospitals, the management have frozen staff recruitment. There is no doubt there're more job opportunities in Sg. But of course, then, we hiam the hours are long & pay is low.

Just as mentioned in my older post, there's no greener grass here, there or anywhere. There is no such thing as perfect or best of both worlds. To want the good, we must be prepared to take the bad. In the end, all that truly matters is the quantity & quality of time I get to spend with my family directly becoz of the move to Oz. It is the ability to create valuable memories that otherwise won't have come to pass. We need to be thankful becoz we are raised in Sg & therefore, improved our chances for migration. We need to move for the right reasons. We need to move with the right mindset. But I suppose, either way, you'll come to this realisation just as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment