Saturday 9 April 2016

1st Ever Farmstay

I've lagged behind on blogging. Long hours coupled with lotsa-places-to-go weekends contributed to that. For the 1st long weekend in March, I planned this farmstay in York. I suspect I would have enjoyed it more if they were more flexible about their "dog friendly" policy. Dogs are not allowed inside the house unsupervised. So when we wanted to join the farm animals feeding session, I had to put Basil & Ton inside the car. The session ran for over an hour. Just as well it wasn't super hot. We were there for 2 nights. I would have love to do the animal feeding again on the 2nd day becoz essentially that was what we paid for. But the thought of leaving the dogs inside the car again put me off. That also meant our plan to visit attractions went down the drain too. We couldn't leave the dogs, not even in the alfresco area of the bungalow, dogs are not allowed in museums & what nots, & I'm not going to leave the dogs in a hot car while we enjoy the attractions. So basically, we spent 2 days mostly inside the bungalow. Money could have been better spent elsewhere.

I suspect it would have been interesting to visit the old motor museum but we were "grounded". When we visited the towns, I wanted to eat at this restaurant that had outside sitting. I'll always ask even though most restaurants are alright. But they told me I had to tie my dogs to the lamp post just by the road & there wasn't even shade. So they wanted my dogs to sit or lie under the hot sun, on hot gravel road for 1 hour while we eat? Are you serious? So I brought my business to the cafe next door who were alright with the dogs sitting with us in the shade.

I didn't enjoy myself at all. Hubs was grumpy & snappish the entire 3 days & it just ruined my holiday mood. So much for "dog friendly". Then I told myself, next time, I either stop planning these trips, or send the dogs to boarding. I know they'll be well looked after. But the thing is, their lives are short. I already work long hours. I want to bring them along & create memories & just spend time together. Why is it so hard?

1 comment:

  1. We always had the same problems with these supposedly "dog friendly" places.

    ReplyDelete