Thursday 24 July 2014

1st Time Late For Work

Traffic was a nightmare this morning. I was to start at 8 am today so I left home at 6.30 am, expecting to arrive at 7.30 am. But I was caught in a terrible jam along Vincent Street, taking 30 mins to clear 1 traffic light. Then, I made a turn onto Loftus Street & got stuck there for another few more minutes. By the time I arrived at work, it was already 8.15 am. That was 45 mins more than my usual travelling time. Apparently, the jam carried on till beyond 10 am. Another colleague who was due at 10 am came in at 10.10 am, saying that her bus ride took 1 hour 40 mins instead of her usual 40 mins. Subsequently, a patient turned back for home after getting tired of being stuck in the jam.

I didn't bring any CDs over with me & my Integra's player doesn't come with a USB port. Hence, the only thing keeping me company as I drive is the radio. What struck me is how music has evolved. The top hits are the ones with lyrics that doesn't make sense other than the words sound good together. Gone are the songs that are made of meaningful lyrics & haunting melodies that touches your soul. I think this must be a sign of old age. Remember our parents are always listening to oldies & have no interest in the current hits? That's kinda like me now. My favourite songs must seem like oldies to the young ones.

I get the feeling that my colleagues feel that I'm too good at my work (if there's even such a thing coz I feel I have a long way to go). I received my 3rd set of comments in a joking manner. The 2nd was during my half day attachment at the CSSD where the staff told me not to "work too hard". I don't think I am coz I heeded D's advice from the start. When the staff announces that it's tea time, I drop whatever I'm doing & go for tea. Today, I started wheeling the machine away, forgetting to unplug the diathermy cable. My partner jokingly told me that I was doing my work so well that I put them to shame. Now I actually forgot something & it means I'm settling in. I always say, behind a joke, there's always a glimmer of truth to it.

Can I be fault for learning too fast? Like I said before, I had almost 6 years of experience doing the same thing. Even if it's in another country, the principles remain the same. Although I'm a newcomer, I was a senior & in charge back in SG. So the knowledge is there already. It was never my intention to outdo my colleagues or out perform them. I'm also not here to contest for the management post. I was offered sponsorship by my previous company for Masters degree to be the 1st Ophthalmic Advance Practice Nurse in SG. If I wanted to climb the corporate ladder, I would have done so rather than come all the way to Perth. I just want to prove that I can work so that I can pass my probation & secure my place in this job coz it's so important to me. Becoz it's either this or pack up & head back to SG. I didn't post this but after the head count freeze ended in end of June, my previous application to Fiona Stanley was processed. Despite hearing from people that they are severely short, I was still rejected with an email telling me that I wasn't successful. By then, it didn't matter coz I was already employed. I know what I want & I'll just have to keep praying about it. I hope that 1 day, with my sincerity, I can show them that all I want is just to earn a simple living. I have absolutely no hidden agenda. Just pure honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment