Saturday 12 July 2014

The Flip Side Of 9 To 5

Special shift today for hubs who will be working in the store from 5 to 9 am. He woke up at 3 am to get ready, have his coffee & all, left the house at 4 am. We were admiring the full moon last night. 这里的月亮真的有比较亮! (The moon really is brighter here!) But I'm sure it's just due to the lack of light pollution compared to SG. Again, we admired the full moon before he left for work. It had orbited to the front of the house from the back. I'm wondering if today is the 16th (of the lunar month) coz the moon looked more complete than it had last night. There's a saying that the full moon on the 15th is rounder on the 16th. (十五的月亮十六圆。) Then hubs drove off, leaving deafening silence behind. Yeah, his car is really loud.

I think hubs will find a way to do the job well. When he was working in KFC, his "preceptors" if the guy can be called that, always have a balance of a tray or more of chicken by closing time. A tray is 32 pieces of chicken & that's a lot of wastage, not to mention the number of chickens that lost their life so their meat can be thrown away. By the time hubs was solo, he brought the wastage down to less than half a tray, sometimes with only pieces to spare. He also kept the work space clean & tidy by washing up the frying cages, trays, etc, pull out the fryers so the night time cleaner can access the back of these machines to scrub the floor. When hubs worked with the staff on weekends, he just asked hubs, "Why you wash the utensils? No need lah! & why you pull out the machines? If the cleaner don't wash the back then don't wash lor." Hubs has got the potential to work well, minimise loss & maximise profits. Too bad nobody here is willing to give him a chance.

He doesn't work well with people though. He gets pissed off with people who don't do their job properly & work with a nonchalant "not my problem what" attitude. Actually I'm the same. Towards the end of my employment in SG, I was constantly angry becoz things are not done properly. I know everyone's tired & they just want to do the bare minimum becoz like everybody else, I worked frequently beyond 12 hours. By then, I was severely burnt out & unleashed my fury on inanimate objects. When I saw the cupboards empty, consumables not topped up, long list ahead of me, partner coming in at 8 sharp when the surgery's starting at 8 am, leaving me to do all the preparations by myself, I slammed the cupboard door shut with a bang. Happened almost everyday. Real mature. But I just couldn't take it anymore.

Got back into the house & saw that Ah Ton had already monopolised hub's side of the bed. I found myself unable to go back to sleep. Maybe if I lie down long enough....

No comments:

Post a Comment