Thursday 3 July 2014

Key To Happiness

Everybody's in search of the elusive happiness. We all know there's no avoiding the downs in life. I'm sure many are familiar with the quote etched on a picture of the ECG reading that has been circulating on fb that goes, "If there're no ups & downs in your life, it means you're dead."

Shakyamuni embarked on a quest to relieve mankind of suffering & founded Buddhism. Nichiren Daishonin studied the sutras left behind by Shakyamuni his entire life, wanting to lead mankind to enlightenment & thereby finding absolute happiness. It's been said that Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion. I agree. Buddhism is a teaching, a way of life rather than praying to a higher being to solve your problems.

In Nichiren Buddhism, we chant Nam Myo Ho Renge Kyo which translates into "I devote my life to the mystic law of the lotus sutra" & in Sanskrit means "Thank you very much". There we have it. The key to happiness. It's nothing more than a sense of gratitude. A person with no gratitude cannot be happy becoz he/she is consumed by his/her fundamental darkness. This is what this teaching is about. It unlocks the potential you have inert in you.

The world is a mirror. It reflects back to you what is in you. If you're unhappy, all you can see are the faults of the world. The law is never outside of yourself. The law (Dharma) is within you, is your life itself. Therefore, to change the world, 1st you must change yourself. As we practise, we tap into the power of our buddhahood & gain wisdom. With this wisdom, we see clearly our faults & seek to improve. This is human revolution.

I am thankful that I have a roof over my head. I am thankful that I am able to put food on the table. I am thankful I have a job. I am thankful for Ton Ton who brought so much joy into my life. I am thankful for the painful lessons & circumstances for they polish me. I am thankful that I am alive today. I don't know how much I can achieve. But I hope I can be the candle of hope that lights up the room & brightens up your life.

1 comment:

  1. Don't give up. Make it a habit to think positively and happily. God bless.

    ReplyDelete