Tuesday 24 June 2014

Catching Up On Chores

Driving home on Monday after work was a pleasure. I had 2 female drivers behind me for 2 different long stretches of road & they kept a good distance from me, like the way I do with the car in front of me. I also managed to avoid making wrong turns. The change in my GPS setting retraced my outbound route to LEI for the route home, so it was somewhat familiar to me.

I had the day off today but hubs had to go for his induction. I made use of the time to vacuum the house, tidy the pantry, clean up the kitchen sink & wash up all the new baking trays I bought from Woolies at half price. I baked a coconut cake whose recipe I got off the web. It uses the creaming method & I had a hard time with it. The house was cold & the butter refused to be "creamed". I had to stick the mixing bowl into the preheating oven a few seconds at a time until I can successfully cream it with sugar. I'm not too happy with the end product. The cake had a chewy bread-like crust though it was moist inside. Well, hubs as usual claimed it very nice & not too sweet (that was becoz I halved the sugar stated in the recipe).

He's starting work tomorrow & he gets to work 5 days a week. He can start at either 7 am or latest by 8 am & work no longer than 8 hours a day. On his 1st route, he has 500+ meters to read. If he can't finish on the 1st day, he'll have to continue on the next day. Once he's done, he has to report to the office & get another route to do. I looked at the map & I was like, that's a long distance to be walking. Physically challenging job. I hope all will be well for him.

Transformers is screening soon & I asked hubs if he wants to watch it over the weekend. It's $18 per ticket but if we sign up for their membership at $26 per year, we can get 2 tickets at $11 each. Quite a good deal if you ask me.

Even though we've both got jobs now, we're still being careful with our spending. We're always on the lookout for suitable weekly half priced items to buy from Coles or Woolies. Best buy of the week was the 10 kg pack of rice for $10 from Woolies. That'll last us for a long time to come. Frozen toes & no heating in the room? I got myself a hot water bottle to warm my toes. Even Ton wants to lie down on that warm spot. Alright, time for bed & for another day of work tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. $10 for kg of rice is really cheap. Actually groceries in Aust is much cheaper then SIN for most items. I wonder how are the utilities and gas bill in comparison ? Been reading on Solar panel installations in Aust recently, pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rice is more ex than in SG. But we got it at $10 becoz it was on half price sale. The supermarkets rotates products to go on half price every week. So we stock up when stuff are at half price. Potatoes are cheap. We bought a 4 kg bag for $1.99.

      I haven't received any bills yet so can't compare. I heard that it's cheaper but it's increasing every year. My landlord had solar panels installed in her new house. How it works is the electricity company charges them the amount they use, rebating them for the power the solar panels generated. Definitely a good investment if you've got your own house.

      Delete