Saturday 2 May 2015

Milestone: 1st Anniversary

2nd May 2014. We landed in Perth Airport at 11.30 pm with only uncertainties ahead.

2nd May 2015. Exactly a year since we arrived. It hasn't exactly been smooth sailing. But then, what in life is? Still, we definitely came a long way from where we began. We've overcame the many obstacles & difficulties in our way. I'm forever thankful for each victory we claim. We celebrated by having steamboat dinner while watching The Amazing Spiderman 2 on dvd. I also baked a ricotta cheesecake with cherry sauce.

My colleague bought a ricotta cheesecake & brought it to work last week. It was so good that I searched for the recipe online. The outcome was a pretty dense cake, probably needs a bit more liquid than stated in the recipe. It was so much better when eaten with the cherry sauce. Luckily I decided that just having a cheesecake is too plain & wanted an extra oompf. Best of all, the frozen cherries were on half price, at $2.80. The cherry sauce was so easy to make & I wondered why I bought the canned version all the time when I was still in Sg for $7.90.

I also found an ingredient I've been looking for in the seafood shop nearby. I've never stepped in as they looked expensive. But hubs wanted to get scallops for this special occasion & hence we went in for the 1st time. Monk fish. I've always wanted to try out a recipe in Gordon Ramsay's cookbook that utilises monk fish. But this fish is not available in Sg. Looks like now I'll finally get my chance.

I finally feel that I have a life again. It is hard to find appreciation for life when all your time is spent at work. Now, I finally am living the life I could only dream of in the past.

2nd May 2016. Who knows where we will be then? May we always persevere in the face of trying times & never forget the debt of gratitude we owe.

Baked ricotta cheesecake with cherry sauce.

4 comments:

  1. The two of you have done really well this past year. Now look forward, look around and enjoy the new surrounding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any pics of the Monkfish ? May i know the price and if it was sold fresh. I made Monkfish fish and chips with frozen I got in SG .. ard $30 per kg. How much did you paid for the shoulder and tendons ? I am waiting for Nix to do a post of the groceries prices in Perth, can i trouble you to do one too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't buy the monk fish. If I ever do, I'll post the price. Although surrounded by the sea, most of the fish sold here are frozen for some reasons. Seafood is ex here.

      I paid $8.99/kg for both the shoulder & tendon at the asian butcher. Fruits & veg will be difficult coz the prices fluctuate a lot depending on whether they're in season. Some examples: Banana costs $2.50 to $5/kg, watermelon between $0.50 to $1.50/kg, corn about $0.30 each when in season & $1.20 when not. But sure, I can do 1 on other food & non food items.

      Delete