Friday 25 April 2014

A Post 5 Days Late

Sometime earlier this week, ninja nurse posted a picture of her shawl knitting project. It was as though a lightning bolt hit me. I left a message thanking her for sharing the picture as it reminded me how much I've forgotten to live. Coincidentally, during the WD dialogue meeting on Wednesday, we talked about shoten zenjin which is the buddhist protection in your daily life. A senior in faith was saying it can manifest as an actual person or an event. Though it refers to protection of your life, I somehow felt it clicked into place.

I've always loved handicrafts. Cross stitching, knitting etc. I learnt knitting when Jcube was still known as Jurong Entertainment Centre, when I 1st started working, about 11 years ago. There was a shop to the right corner of the library exit. The staff will teach you how to knit if you buy the stuff from them. I paid $4.50 for the looped knitting needles & 8 black yarns at $14.90 per yarn. I passed by a similar shop in Jurong Point & popped in to have a look. I was appalled that the exact same knitting needles now costs $14.90.

Somehow along the way, I got caught up in the rat race that was not mine to being with & I no longer do any handicrafts. Unpaid overtime, cycling shifts, terrible patient to nurse ratio (17 to 1 on day shifts & 25 to 1 on night shifts), 1 off day a week so you can see why I refused to go back to ward nursing. Seeing ninja nurse's shawl brought to light how I've let life slide. I no longer do the things I enjoy. I felt I've wasted my life away. It is my wish that I'll be able to pick up where I left off 11 years ago & learn some new hobbies with the improved work life balance in Oz.

 This was how far I got 11 years ago. The loop is useful for big projects as the stitches will just fall onto the loops instead of off the needles. If the stitches fall off & you can't salvage it, you'll have to start all over again.

This is something I pestered my mom to teach me when I was in Primary 6. Initially she refused, claiming that it's too hard for a kid. Turned out that I was better at it. This was meant to be a triangular doily. The eye shaped thread holder is the only tool required.

No comments:

Post a Comment