Monday 14 April 2014

Choosing Telcos In Perth

Obviously they don't call them telcos coz my search returned companies that sells home phones. At the suggestion of yahoo search engine, I got a hit using the keywords "mobile network operator". I remember how we complained when we received a dramatic reduction from 12 GB to 2 GB of mobile data when we switch from 3G to 4G . Wait till you see the mobile data allowance that comes with the postpaid plan. 1 thing that is different is that you don't have to pay for the phone 1 shot. Instead, the price of the phone is tagged to the chosen plan over a 24 months contract. Which is about right coz for some reasons, phones always start giving problems at the 2 year mark. Of course, you can opt for a mobile plan without the phone or prepaid plan. Also, say goodbye to unlimited broadband data.

I'm currently using over 300 MB of data on my phone. I guess I can try to cut it down by switching to wifi. My broadband plan is on unlimited so I have no way of gauging how much data I use a month since Singtel doesn't keep track. This means I have no way of knowing if 30 GB of broadband data is sufficient for our usage. We'll have to be very vigilant if we don't want to incur additional charges. For mobile plans, Optus will be a safe bet since we've got 200 minutes to work with & unlimited sms.

The plans are many & confusing. So I'm going to compare the cheapest mobile & broadband plan on the various operators. S5 refers to Samsung Galaxy S5 & 5s refers to Apple iphone 5s.

Optus
Price: $35 + $29 (S5) or $30 (5s) per month
Talk Time: 200 mins
SMS/MMS to Australian mobiles: Unlimited
Included data: 200 MB
Broadband: $55 for 30 GB per month, 24 months contract


Vodafone
Price: $30 + $28 (S5) or $31 (5s) per month
Included data: 300 MB
Special: $300 worth of value. Calls at 98c per min with 40c flagfall. SMS at 30c each.
Mobile Broadband: $65 for 12 GB per month, plus pay between $2 - 3 for modem (they don't seem to have normal home broadband)

Telstra
Price: $81 (S5) or $76 (5s) per month
Included data: 500 MB
Special: $550 value for talk time & MMS. Calls at 99c per min with 40c flagfall. MMS at 50c each. Unlimited SMS.
Broadband: $73 for 50 GB per month, 24 months contract

3 comments:

  1. If Aldimobile and TPG are in your area, can consider .... "cheap and green" !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll surely look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking your time and being wise in choosing which carrier to apply for is one way to prevent bad services and expensive bills. I've heard great reviews for one of the three carriers you listed down, but I won't be dropping names, so people can make their decisions with unbaised judgments, based on their personal preferences. Hahaha! Thanks for the info, Missy Jo! All the best to you!

    Clara Brooks @ TelcoWorld Corp.

    ReplyDelete