Monday 7 April 2014

My Ton, My Soul Mate

How not to love him when he's got a face like this?

Not unlike many kids, I've always wanted a dog & like many parents, mine were against the idea. They knew gifting a child with a dog means the care will ultimately go to them. (I wish parents these days were as adamant about it as my parents. Pet abandonment is way too high, even among people I know.) But my love for dogs never waned. I felt that I could call the shots at age 23 despite the fact that I was still living with my parents. I had in mind a schnauzer but still, I did my research. I didn't want a dog that's too active (think Jack Russell) coz I was a couch potato. I didn't want a dog who sheds coz I was sure my mom wouldn't appreciate the invasion of fur balls in our home. I'm living in a HDB flat so the breed definitely has to be HDB approved. I concluded that a schnauzer fit my criteria. 

Before I even started hunting, I read up on house breaking, basic commands, basic grooming care, breed characteristics, what health issues the breed is prone to having, how to choose a puppy, etc. I really really did my homework. I knew for certain I wanted a male dog. I just prefer males. I wanted a salt & pepper schnauzer. At that time, I was crazy about Naruto, a Japanese anime. There was a character I liked so much. It was a female pig by the name of Ton Ton which I deduced to mean pork pork. (Tonkatsu anyone?) I already knew I would name my 1st dog Ton Ton. Then, the hunt began.

There's a pet shop at Bukit Panjang Plaza (it's still there) & it was my 1st stop since it's nearest to where I lived. Ton was in 1 of the viewing display, being bullied by his sister. The owner tried to convince me that a white schnauzer is more unique as at that point in time, there weren't many white schnauzers around. I think he just wanted to close the sale as he didn't have any salt & pepper puppies at that time. He brought Ton out & placed him in my arms for me to handle. I flipped him onto his back on my palm to test how dominant he is. That small 1.2 kg bundle of fur clung to me for dear life. Needless to say, I fell in love with him.

Born on 13th January 2006, Ton is very timid by nature. The 1st day he came home with me at 3 months old, he didn't even dare venture outside the boundary of the floor title I set him down on. Becoz he's timid, he's easy to train coz he's fearful of punishments. By the end of the 1st day, he learnt the sit command using solely reward based training. By 2 weeks, he was 90% pee tray reliable. I discipline when required but I am never stingy with my affections. Despite my harsh discipline, he's closest to me, getting all excited & whining away when I get home. My parents who were initially against having a dog was won over by him. They will spoil him, allowing him to get away with mistakes. I disciplined them along with him. For training to be successful, everyone in the household has to sing the same tune. 

He loves kisses but hates it when I lick him on his nose. Like humans, he's ticklish on his hind paw pads, the equivalent of human's soles. He's lazy & many times will choose not to respond when called. A puff into his ears or anus will get his attention. I love to disturb him for no reason just as he loves to plop down in my lap without warning. Words can't describe my love for him. Some days, we would sit in bed & he would stare into my eyes in silent communication. He can't speak but I feel the love he has for me. When I look into his eyes, I know I am the world to him. It is a devotion so strong, I can't help but return it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment