Saturday 19 April 2014

Ain't That Easy

Some of us come to an age where we no longer desire to be politically correct. Or at least some of the times. We were taught to be nice from young. Or at least, some of us. I admire those who are not afraid of shedding the mask. You'll know that they are true. Unlike so many of us, myself included.

For so long, I've faked my way across. I don't like you for the things you do. Yet I rein in my feelings just so not to ruin the cordial relationship, no matter how shallow it is. That is why I'm hypocritical & untrustworthy. Being fake will come back to bite you. Sooner or later, you'll reveal your fox's tail. That is why Eng & Mei Yan appeals to me so much. They're not afraid to let others know how they feel about them, straight in the face. Of course, they received a lot of backlash for their behaviour. How do you balance it? Be true yet diplomatic? How to be nice when the truth is ugly?

Unfortunately, I'm too bothered by what others think or say about me. I'm trying to quit, but it's like asking a chain smoker to quit smoking. It ain't that easy. In the writings of Nichiren Daishonin & Ikeda sensei, they encourage us to work on our inner self (human revolution) & engage in dialogue with others. To achieve world peace, you 1st start with yourself. Then like a candle, you illuminate the darkness around you. Other people, having being inspired by you, light their own candle & so forth it goes.

I've been trying to eliminate the negativity in me for years, squelching not so nice comments in my mind. We've come back in a circle. How to be kind when you see something really wrong? Do you sit on the fence, or do you take a stand? Worse still, how do I know I'm on the right side? A phrase in Dan Brown's Inferno stuck with me: The darkest place in hell is reserved for those who maintain neutrality in times of moral crisis. Do you openly condemn a behaviour or action that is morally wrong or do you choose to keep quiet? What if they insist on wrong doing despite diplomatic dialogues with them?

I wonder what Ikeda sensei will do. I guess he'll ask me to send prayers to them. Lol. I've just answered my own question. Daimoku then, to change myself 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment