Monday 8 February 2016

Back To Sin: Day 5

Hung over, hubs refused to get out of bed except to go to the toilet puke. I finally managed to drag him out of bed at 12 noon as we were supposed to have lunch at my MIL's at 1 pm. By the time he got ready, it was already 12.30 pm & we had no choice but to take a cab. I downloaded the app that everyone was raving about a couple of months back - grab taxi. It worked so well we barely had enough time to get downstairs.

We made it just before 1 pm & waited for hub's uncle, aunt & kids to show up before starting our reunion lunch. The same old taste of her cabbage soup (with fish maw, abalone, dried scallops, pork, mushrooms), steamed fish & steamed prawns with 花雕酒 & cilantro. Familiar comfort food to me. There was also store bought roasted duck, roasted chicken & roasted pork. Hub's relatives left after lunch & everybody took a short nap (including hubs on the sofa) except again, for me. I spent the time reading the novel I would soon be finishing & nibbled on CNY goodies. Guess I'll just have to work extra hard to burn off the extra calories when I get back to Perth.

We headed off to my 4th uncle's place for reunion dinner with my extended family. As per yearly tradition, we had lo hei (by my 2nd uncle), DIY popiah (by my 4th uncle), braised duck (by my dad), stir fried tang hoon (by my 4th uncle) & ngoh heong (by my 4th uncle). This year, my 5th aunt brought some malay kueh that she ordered from a friend while we had cream of pumpkin with sago for dessert by my 2nd uncle.

The best part of the dinner wasn't so much the food. Honestly, I had been eating so much over the past few days that I felt really sick of food. I feel like I can swear off food for the next couple of days, which of course, isn't going to happen. It was either eat now or hold my peace till the next time we return. The best part was being able to catch up with family again.

My 4th uncle drove us home & here I am, typing this entry with eyes that are half closed due to sleeping less than 5 hours last night. Alright, time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment