Monday 22 February 2016

周末料理

I made an appointment for us to have scaling & polishing done before we even left for Sg. Let's not waste the free scale we get with HBF. The tea stain on my teeth were removed & I was told 1 of my filling had partially fallen off. So I made another appointment to get that fixed. We paid $116 for both of our scaling/consult/xray, compared to almost $400 for the original price. Health insurance is a must in Oz.

No rest for the wicked. When we got home, it was time for me to leave for yoga. I usually do it either at 9 am or 5 pm, depending on Shan's schedule. But becoz I had the dental appointment & happened that she had a day off, she was able to accommodate me for an 11 am start. I hadn't done any yoga for 3 weeks & was totally looking forward to it.

I started on the kimchi the moment I got home. The cabbage needed to complete a brining process where excess water content is leached out by salting the cabbage. This process takes several hours & in the meantime, I got the other ingredients ready. Cut the radish into strips, chopping the spring onion, chives & blitzing the ginger/garlic/onion into a paste in the food processor. Then I had to cook a sweet glutinous rice flour porridge & leave to cool completely. Once the cabbage is limp, it gets rinsed out thoroughly. All the other ingredients plus the chilli flakes gets mixed together to form a paste. 
I used to do it the traditional way by keeping the cabbage segments intact, rubbing the chilli paste between the leaves before rolling it up. But I found it to be a hassle when I need to cook with it as I need to unroll & cut it up. So this time, I cut the cabbage up before mixing with the chilli paste. Doesn't look as pretty but doesn't bother me as long as it still works. The kimchi is then left on the table to ferment.

Sunday morning found me working on chee cheong fun for breakfast. It's really simple to make & I kept it vegan by keeping it plain. Immediately after, I started on the yam cake. Swapping out the heibi for chaipo, the yam cake became a vegan dish as well. We had the yam cake for dinner while watching an old Hong Kong drama series. 

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try making chee cheong fun, but hesitate because I thought it would be too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel it's more troublesome than difficult. & if you have many mouths to feed, I think it's easier to buy. Otherwise you'll be spending a long long time making enough. But it's fun for a try out.

      Delete