Thursday 22 May 2014

Good Luck To Myself

Received an email from LEI's HR manager. Back in February, prior to coming over, I emailed them with regards to employment. A surgeon I was assisting informed me of the existence of this eye institute & encouraged me to give it a try. They had no vacancies at that time & upon knowing that I was still in SG, I received no further reply. I sent an email upon sometime last week, informing the manager that I am now in Perth. Today, I received an email from her, informing me that the position for a part time peri-operative registered nurse has come up & the ad is now on Seek.

Upon reading, I felt for the 1st time a glimmer of hope & confidence that I'm what they're looking for. Other than the usual APHRA registration, communication & written skills etc, they require an experienced scrub/scout/recovery registered nurse, preferably with ophthalmic or post basic cert (aka our equivalent of advance diploma in peri-operative nursing which I don't have). The only thing I'm losing out on is the local experience but I'm hoping they'll value my absolutely relevant experience more.

Becoz we often work well beyond our working hours back in SG, I had to recover my own patients & handle the control drugs  as the recovery staff would have gone home by then. So my recovery experience isn't outdated at all. I even have to wash my own instruments so that would account as TSSU experience, though not very extensive.

I've sent in my application & I don't suppose I'll hear from them until after 5th June as that's the closing date. Only successful applications will be contacted for interview. I've been told several times by different groups of friends that it'll take a while to be called up for interviews & even longer to be offered jobs. But when 1 does get offered a job, they usually come in a few. I certainly hope so & will continue praying for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment